Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dear Mrs. Beasley...


When I was young, I used to love to watch the show "Family Affair". Remember Uncle Bill, Mr.French, Sissy, Buffy & Jody? I used to secretly wish that Brian Keith was my dad. He was so handsome and sweet (and looking back, probably rich too!) but what I really loved was Mrs. Beasley, Buffy's grandma doll. I always wanted a Mrs. Beasley doll of my very own. I came so close... my godmother asked my mom what I wanted for my birthday, and my mom said, "All Linda really says she wants is a Mrs. Beasley doll". So she wanted to be the one to get it for me. She couldn't find the doll before my birthday so she told my mom she'd find it for Christmas. Well, when I opened my Christmas gift, my mom was aghast to see it was a Monopoly game. "What about Mrs. Beasley?", my mom asked her. "Oh, that doll was so ugly! I couldn't believe Linda really wanted that doll". It was the sixties, mom had 4 kids, she couldn't just run out after Christmas & buy a doll. So alas, I never did get a Mrs. Beasley doll of my very own. So now, when I happen upon them in antique malls, I run over like a long lost friend, scoop her up in my arms and give her a squeeze. Once I carried her around with me and talked to her (as my sister rolled her eyes and shook her head!) But this particular Mrs. Beasley did not have her voice box anymore and couldn't talk back to me. She had also lost her glasses. Poor Mrs. Beasley. But I've lost a few things over the years too. My hair is starting to gray, I need glasses to read, and I'm a little more "fluffy" than I used to be. So I didn't mind. I did have to say goodbye to her, though. This mom has 3 kids and can't just go out and buy a doll either (and what would I do with a doll now?) But it was so good to see her again...

3 comments:

marie said...

I loved watching Family Affair ~ especually with my little sister. She LOVED Mrs. Beasley and she did receive one for Christmas one year. Thanks for a sweet memory.

Bev said...

I used to watch Buffy and Jody too! Thanks for sharing those memories with us, even if they were disappointing. Isn't it great when you come across a piece in an antique shop that bring back those memories that make you warm & tingling? It's like a big old hug!

hope said...

How great to have found a kindred spirit. I have such wonderful memories of Mrs Beasley and the secrets I shared with her. LOL I was blessed by my neighbor that gave me one for my very own!